Translate

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Circuit Court Clerk announces retirement

by MATT HUGHES
J-E Editor

Webster County Circuit Court Clerk Amy Villines announced her retirement last week, following 35 years of service to the residents of Webster County.

Villines went to work as a deputy clerk in 1980, soon after marrying her husband Larry and moving to Dixon.


“I had just graduated with a degree in Interior Design when I was offered a deputy clerk position under Patsy Chandler,” Villines said. “I accepted the job at the courthouse thinking it would be a good way to meet people and would just be temporary until something in my field opened up.”

But that wasn’t how things worked out.

“As time passed, I grew to love the legal work and serving the people of Webster County.  After starting a family and living only 2.5 miles from the courthouse, it was too convenient to leave for something in my field of study.   In 2004, I was appointed Circuit Clerk to fill the unexpired term of Connie Townsend and was fortunate enough to run unopposed thereafter.  Now, 35 years later, I am able to retire at an early age and I feel very blessed to have been given the opportunity of a lifetime.”

As much as Villines loved working with the people of Webster County, many in the county feel just as blessed to have had her working with them.

“Mrs. Villines dedication to her work and her community has served as an inspiration,” said Judge Rene Williams, the chief regional circuit judge for the Fifth Circuit, serving Crittenden, Webster, and Union counties of Kentucky.

“I have certainly witnessed a lot of changes in the judicial and driver’s license systems over the years, from manually typing dockets yesterday to electronic filings today and issuing basic driver’s license back in the good ole days to handling complex CDL licenses under the Real ID Act today,” Villines said. “The Judicial and Driver’s License systems are both very complex systems and despite their flaws, I am thankful they exist and are available to each and every one of us.”

The Webster County Deputy Court Clerks, District Court Judge Daniel Heady, Family Court Judge Brandi Rogers, Circuit Court Judge Rene’ Williams, and the Webster County Bar Association will host a retirement celebration for Villines on Friday, August 28, 2015 from 1:00 p.m. til 3:00 p.m. in the Webster County Circuit Courtroom. There will be a presentation at 2:00 p.m., and refreshments will be served. The public in encouraged to attend.

“I want to thank the citizens of Webster County for entrusting me with this position and to my staff, who all work very hard to provide the basic information citizens need to address their legal matters and to issue their drivers license in an efficient and courteous manner.  I will certainly miss working with the public and my co-workers, but am looking forward to starting this next chapter in my life.

There are five years remaining on Villines’ term. The job of filling the position will fall to the governor, who will appoint a replacement to fill the job until the next general election.

Reach MATT HUGHES
 at 270-667-2068 or
matt@journalenterprise.com

No comments:

Post a Comment